FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kamloops, BC, July 29, 2020 – Kamloops Wineries make a statement at the 2020 All Canadian Wine Championships winning a record breaking 17 medals including Best White Wine of the Year awarded to Monte Creek Ranch Winery for their 2018 Reserve Riesling.
Established in 1981, the All Canadian Wine Championships marks it 40th year judging the country’s top wines. 805 wines from 130 wineries across the country entered the competition this year. Using the 100-point scale, a panel of 11 esteemed judges assessed the wines based on sensory components, wine structure, varietal character, and overall quality.
Impressive scores bestowed upon three Kamloops Wineries; Harper’s Trail, Monte Creek Ranch, and Privato, resulted in the 17-medal showing including the region’s first ever Best White Wine of the Year Trophy going to Monte Creek Winery for their 2018 Reserve Riesling.
“We are beyond ecstatic to see the “Best White Wine of the Year Trophy” awarded to our very own Monte Creek Ranch Winery,” comments Trish Morelli, Executive Director, Kamloops Wineries Association. “This is a tremendous accomplishment and brings incredible honour and credibility to all of the wineries in the Thompson Valley. This recognition, combined with the 16 other medals won by our wineries, once again demonstrates the incredible quality, depth and skilled winemaking coming out of this region,” adds Morelli.
“I couldn’t be more of proud of our winemaking and viticulture teams,” says Erik Fisher, General
Manager of Monte Creek Ranch Winery. “It takes a tremendous amount of focus and precision to make great wine, and this recognition is a testament to the skill and hard work that goes into making a wine this special,” adds Fisher.
“The 2018 Thompson Valley Reserve Riesling is crafted from fruit grown on our two vineyard sites here in the South Thompson Valley,” comments Galen Barnhardt, Winemaker at Monte Creek Ranch. Riesling is well-adapted to our hot summers and cold winters, and we feel the future is bright for this variety in our region.”
The medal winning wines include:
• Best White Wine of the Year: Monte Creek Winery 2018 Riesling Reserve
• Gold: Monte Creek 2018 Varietal Series Riesling
• Gold: Monte Creek 2017 Hands Up Red
• Gold: Monte Creek 2018 Reserve Chardonnay
• Gold: Monte Creek 2018 Varietal Series Chardonnay
• Gold: Monte Creek 2019 Hands Up White
• Gold: Harper’s Trail 2019 Rose
• Gold: Harper’s Trail 2018 Cabernet Franc
• Gold: Privato 2017 Woodward Collection Merlot
• Silver: Harper’s Trail 2019 Pinot Gris
• Silver: Monte Creek N.V Split Decision Blueberry Grape Sparkling
• Silver: Monte Creek 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
• Silver: Monte Creek Winery 2017 Cabernet Merlot
• Bronze: Privato 2019 Gewurztraminer
• Bronze: Privato 2019 Pinot Gris
A Double Gold Medal also went to Privato sister company, Woodward Cider Co. for Hang Time Peach Infused craft cider.
These award winning wines can be found, while they last, in select retail outlets and restaurants
throughout BC, or ordered direct from the wineries at, montecreekranch.com, harperstrail.com, and privato.ca.
For more information on the Kamloops Wine Trail and members wineries visit kamloopswinetrail.com.
For more information on the All Canadian Wine Championships visit allcanadianwinechampionships.com
FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES