BC Weekly Domestic Overnight Visitor Insights
Domestic Overnight Visitors – Year over Year Variation 2019 – 2020
Review the Thompson Okanagan Visitor Insight Report here (For week ending July 5, 2020): Thompson Okanagan Measuring Regional Travel Patterns
The Measuring Canadian Travel Patterns research data created by Environics Analytics helps the Canadian travel and tourism industry understand the impact of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Domestic Overnight Visitors within Canada, its provinces, territories, and tourism regions.
Note: British Columbia declared a provincial state of emergency on Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
BC Key Findings for the period of February 4 – July 5, 2020
- While Overnight travel is significantly down compared to 2019, an upward trend in movement and overnight stays on a week over week bases was apparent during Weeks 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20 and 22.
- All of the BC Regions saw an increase in visitation from Week 21 (June 22-28) to Week 22 (June 29-July 5).
Thompson Okanagan Findings for the period of February 4 – July 5, 2020:
- The Thompson Okanagan saw a 6% increase in visitation compared to British Columbia during Week 22 (June 29 – July 5).
- Visitation to the Thompson Okanagan increased by 23% and British Columbia increased by 15% when comparing Week 21 (June 22-28) to Week 22 (June 29-July 5).
- Environics Analytics uses privacy compliant, anonymized mobile movement data to identify devices whose Daily Common Evening Location is 60 km or more away from their Yearly Common Evening Location.
- Data is aggregated and compared on a weekly basis versus the previous year and week.
- Data is limited to devices that we can reliably infer their Daily and Yearly Common Evening Locations.
- Data has been standardized and normalized leveraging demographic data and PRIZM, their neighbourhood classification system.
For more Information on Research or Fees for Services Contact:
Simone Carlysle-Smith, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, Managing Director for Symphony Tourism Services