Midnight Musings from our CEO
This week, May 27th to June 2nd we celebrate National Tourism Week in Canada. This initiative, hosted by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) and supported, in our province, by the Tourism Industry Association of BC (TIABC), is an important opportunity to bring attention to, and raise awareness of, the valuable role tourism plays in our national, provincial, regional and local economies.
In the Thompson Okanagan alone, the tourism industry is our number one economic driver delivering more revenue and employment than our more highly profiled counterparts such as forestry, oil and gas and high tech.
Our message needs to be loud, proud and collaborative. Through a coordinated approach, we can work to ensure policy decisions and regulations recognize the importance of tourism and consider impacts on the industry before governments make changes.
There are multiple ways to take part in events this week to elevate the tourism message to our residents, politicians, visitors and potential guests; starting with the hashtag #BCTourismMatters. The following are a few of the ways you can help spread the word and for more information go to:
- Take and share images of your community taking part in Tourism week activities
- Follow Thompson Okanagan, Route 97, TIABC, go2HR, Destination BC on our collectively social channels; share and retweet
- Engage with local media and encourage them to become involved in expanding the tourism message
- Forward your videos and stories on the tourism initiatives to TOTA, TIABC and Destination BC
- Share exceptional customer service stories with go2HR
- Use these resources to help explain Tourism Week to industry and media:
- Fact sheet
- Share the Destination BC infographics below on social media: (destinationbc.ca/BC-Tourism-Industry/The-Power-of-Tourism.aspx)
- Letter sent to TIABC members and local government – Tourism Week letter to stakeholders May 22, 2018
For more information and details on all the ways you can become involved, go to our website https://totabc.org/participate/events/. We have the power to shape our destiny as an industry. Tourism Matters; BC Tourism Matters – Get Involved.
A Few Highlights from this Week’s News Centre…
You know the season is upon us when the news centre is filled with things to do in the coming weeks and months. Just a few examples of things you should schedule into your spring and summer calendar include the Big White Invitational Slope Style taking place July 4th – 7th (read more); Armstrong’s Music in the Park every Friday night starting June 22 (read more); and some amazing local specials available during the month of June at Sparkling Hill Resort (read more).
TOTA ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT – REGISTER NOW – AUGUST 30th, 2018
This year’s Annual TOTA Golf Tournament will be held on August 30th at Black Mountain in Kelowna. Clear your Calendar and make plans to join us. Registration is now open!
Read all of this week’s News Centre stories at news.totabc.org
Keep following and contributing to TOTA’s Facebook and Twitter sites throughout the week; send us your stories, photos, events and remarkable experiences. Make sure the industry knows what is happening around our region. Be sure to use #route97 and #explorebc when posting your tourism shots and stories.