A pier for the Sicamous

The SS Sicamous Society is looking for a loan and grant from the city to build a pier on Okanagan Lake.

That pier would run 100 feet long by 12 feet wide and will go on the south side of the SS Sicamous, and run along the ship to create the image of the ship at dock. It’s part of phase one of the SS Sicamous parks plan, which Adolf Steffen says has been approved by council.

“We think that this pier would tie in very nicely with the lakeshore promenade, and give it a temporary finish until phase two of the Sicamous parks plan will be done,” Steffen said.

“With proper landscaping and a nice connecting walkway from the promenade to the pier, I think it would kind of finish off that area, so that when people walk down that area, they don’t just kind of walk into a gravel pit.”

The SS Sicamous Society is seeking grant money elsewhere, but Steffen says a two-year loan from the city would get the work done before tourists come pouring in for the ITU Multisport World Championships.

“As you know, we are expecting several thousand triathletes to come into this town later on this year,” Steffen said. “With the SS Sicamous being one of the most photographed tourist spots in this town, this would kind of finish it off.”

That loan, Steffen says, would range from $40,000 to $50,000, and the SS Sicamous Society would commit to paying back 75 per cent of that sum. The remaining 25 per cent, ranging from $10,000 to $12,000 would be a grant from the city.

Council will mull the loan during the budget process, set to begin on Feb. 21.

All News