British Columbia’s tourism sector is a key economic driver in the provincial economy, helping to create jobs and keep the province diverse, strong and growing. British Columbia is an internationally renowned destination, with spectacular communities in close proximity to wilderness, and an excellent reputation for delivering remarkable experiences for travellers.
Understanding that tourism is one of the world’s most competitive industries, the Province has launched a new Tourism Events Program, designed to support world class events that can enhance the volume of visitors to British Columbia and increase global recognition for the province.
Funding available through the Tourism Events Program is limited and it is expected that there will be considerable interest. Funding will be prioritized to only support events that offer the following opportunities for the province:
- Raise awareness nationally and internationally of British Columbia’s tourism brands; and
- Motivate Canadians and people from around the world to travel and experience British Columbia’s natural beauty and/or world class infrastructure.
All applications must further meet the following criteria. The events must:
- Offer high tourism value, resulting in incremental visitor expenditures and other economic benefits that exceed the Province’s contribution (such as: lengthen the tourism season; expanded event scope to encourage longer visitation);
- Engage the local community(ies) and attract a significant volume of visitors;
- Align with provincial, regional and/or community tourism marketing strategies; and
- Be supported by the local community(ies).
Only proposals meeting all the program criteria will be considered. Priority will be given to proposals that offer the greatest incremental tourism and economic impact.
The current application window will close on June 30, 2016.
For more Application Information click here