Destination BC is issuing a call for applicants to serve on its Tourism Marketing Committee (TMC) for a three-year term beginning February 1, 2016. Terms have expired for six members, one from each of BC’s tourism regions: Vancouver, Coast & Mountains; Vancouver Island; Thompson Okanagan; Cariboo Chilcotin Coast; Northern BC; and the Kootenay Rockies. Interested applicants should possess the following experience and skills, to complement those of the current members:
- Experience with tourism marketing on a global, national and provincial scale;
- A thorough understanding of tourism issues, sectors and opportunities;
- Hands-on experience with consumer marketing, partnerships, product development/enhancement, visitor services, and/or research and evaluation;
- Willingness to work collaboratively with others, for the benefit of tourism province-wide, in a fully transparent and accountable process;
- Desire to contribute to Destination BC’s marketing objectives in a meaningful way, including prioritizing time for committee meetings and review of materials;
- Deep expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Technical marketing expertise in digital, social and online strategy (data-driven, programmatic, content marketing);
- Knowledge in Destination BC’s key overseas markets;
- Strategic sector knowledge in city tourism;
- Business operations/management experience in transportation, wine and culinary, golf, heritage and culture, fishing, camping or other major tourism-related sectors.
Destination BC and regional representatives will evaluate qualified applicants and bring forward recommended nominations to Destination BC’s Board of Directors for consideration.
The initial term of appointment is three years, beginning February 1, 2016. Committee members may serve no more than two consecutive terms.
The Committee will meet on a regular basis, on a schedule determined by TMC members and Destination BC’s CEO. The Committee will meet at least twice each year in person, coinciding with the annual strategic planning schedule created by Destination BC’s Board of Directors.
Members of the committee will have their travel expenses, related to TMC meetings, reimbursed. Members will not receive compensation for meetings.
Each application must include the completed Application Form, including a resumé and any other supporting documents the candidate feels are relevant to this process. Applications must be received no later than 5:00 PM on Wednesday January 6, 2016. Please submit your Application Form to: Nicole.Endrizzi@destinationbc.ca
Note: Destination BC issued a call for applicants for membership on the Tourism Marketing Committee in November 2015. To ensure the Corporation gets a variety of qualified candidates, from every region of the province, Destination BC is extending the application deadline until Wednesday, January 6, 2016 (previous deadline was November 30). The extension will not impact the applications the Corporation has already received; rather, the extension is intended to give industry members, from all regions of the province, sufficient time to apply for membership on the Committee.
Destination BC established an industry-based Tourism Marketing Committee (TMC) in 2013 to provide advice to the Corporation’s CEO and Board of Directors on:
- Marketing strategies for the organization;
- Ways to use Destination BC marketing strategies and programs to align tourism marketing programs across the province;
- Performance metrics to act as the basis for transparent tracking of the success of the organization’s tourism marketing programming, and the performance of the tourism sector, particularly against key competitors; and
- Ways to use Destination British Columbia funds to leverage private sector tourism marketing funding.
Destination BC and BC’s Regional Destination Marketing Organizations (RDMOs) selected the founding members of the TMC in July 2013. The Committee is comprised of up to 21 members: three from each of BC’s six tourism regions, one member nominated by Aboriginal Tourism BC, and up to two additional members appointed by Destination BC. Collectively, TMC members must have the necessary range of skills and experience, regional and sectoral perspectives, and marketing knowledge to provide valued, strategic marketing advice to the CEO and Board. More information about the TMC and its terms of reference can be found here.
About Destination BC:
Destination BC is an industry-led Crown corporation that works collaboratively with tourism stakeholders across the province to coordinate marketing at the international, provincial, regional and local levels. For more information about Destination BC’s programs and services, please visit: www.DestinationBC.ca