Call for Applications
Destination British Columbia established an industry-based Tourism Marketing Committee (TMC) in 2013 to provide advice to the Corporation’s Board of Directors and CEO on:
- Marketing strategies for the organization;
- Ways to use Destination BC marketing strategies and programs to align tourism marketing programs across the province;
- Performance metrics to act as the basis for transparent tracking of the success of the organization’s tourism marketing programming, and the performance of the tourism sector, particularly against key competitors; and
- Ways to use Destination British Columbia funds to leverage private sector tourism marketing funding.
The terms of reference for the TMC can be found here. Destination BC and BC’s Regional Destination Marketing Organizations (RDMOs) selected the founding members of the Tourism Marketing Committee in July 2013. The Committee is comprised of up to 21 members: three from each of British Columbia’s six tourism regions, one member nominated by Aboriginal Tourism BC, and up to two additional members appointed by Destination BC. Collectively, TMC members must have the necessary range of skills and experience, regional and sectoral perspectives, and marketing knowledge to provide valued, strategic marketing advice to the Board and CEO.
Terms have expired for six members, each from one of the regions: Vancouver, Coast & Mountains; Vancouver Island; Thompson Okanagan; Cariboo Coast Chilcotin; Northern BC; and the Kootenay Rockies. As such, Destination BC and RDMOs are issuing a call for applicants to serve on the TMC for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2016. The Application Form is attached herein.
Interested applicants should possess the following experience and skills, to complement those of the current members as part of the TMC skills matrix:
- Experience with tourism marketing on a global, national and provincial scale;
- A thorough understanding of tourism issues, sectors and opportunities;
- Hands-on experience with consumer marketing, partnerships, product development/enhancement, visitor services, and/or research and evaluation;
- Willingness to work collaboratively with others, for the benefit of tourism province-wide, in a fully transparent and accountable process;
- Desire to contribute to Destination BC’s marketing objectives in a meaningful way, including prioritizing time for committee meetings and review of materials;
- Deep expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Technical marketing expertise in digital, social and online strategy (data-driven, programmatic, content marketing);
- Knowledge in DBC’s key overseas markets;
- Strategic sector knowledge in city tourism;
- Business operations/management experience in transportation, wine and culinary, golf, heritage and culture, fishing, camping or other major tourism-related sectors.
Destination BC and regional representatives will evaluate qualified applicants and bring forward recommended nominations to Destination BC’s Board of Directors for consideration.
The initial term of appointment is three years, beginning January 1, 2016. Committee members may serve no more than two consecutive terms.
The Committee will meet on a regular basis, on a schedule determined by TMC members and the CEO. The Committee will meet at least twice each year in person, coinciding with the annual strategic planning schedule created by Destination BC’s Board of Directors.
Members of the committee will have their travel expenses reimbursed. Members will not receive compensation for meetings.
Each application must include the completed Application Form including your resumé and any other supporting documents you feel are relevant to this process. Applications may be submitted in electronic form. Applications must be received no later than 5:00 PM on Monday, November 30, 2015. Please submit your Application Form to: Ingrid Tyler email@example.com